ART AND TRADITION
The suites in Oviglio Castle
were given the names of the most important artists from this territory.
(2 km from Alessandria, 10 min. by car)
The staff is at the guests’ disposal to facilitate the planning of excursions from the castle, including trips through spectacular landscapes in every season on the way to see paintings by Guglielmo Caccia, known as Moncalvo, the “gipsoteca” (gallery of plaster casts) of Bistolfi, the birthplace of Vittorio Alfieri or the landscapes made famous by Cesare Pavese.
Art and tradition can be found nearby in exciting cities like Milan and Turin, where there are absolute masterpieces of art and events of international importance.
This village is famous for one of the greatest victories of Napoleon over the Austrians; a battle that took place on the 14th June 1800. Villa Castaldi was built here, and it now houses the Military museum containing important documents, weapons and items from the past. In the front garden there is statue of Napoleon Bonaparte, First Consul.
(10 km from Alessandria,10 min. by car)
It is a few km from Spinetta Marengo, birthplace of Pope Pio V, who, in 1566, started the construction of the superb religious complex of the Holy Cross. It is composed of an admirably decorated church (of special interest are the paintings by Vasari) and a convent.
(35 km from Alessandria, 30 min. by car)
This provincial capital of Alto Monferrato rises over the left bank of the Bormida River and is surrounded by vineyards ( Dolcetto d’Acqui wine is from here). This spa town was known in the ancient Roman times; there is a 75-degree hot water spring, the “Bollente”, in the centre of town. A visit to the Basilica of S. Pietro (11th century), the Cathedral (11th century) and Paleologi Castle is highly recommended.
(30 km from Alessandria, 30 min. by car)
Situated on the right bank of the Po River, at the foot of the first hill of the Monferrato mountains, in wine country, it is one of the most interesting towns in Piedmont because of its artistic importance. In the historical centre there are marvelous Gothic, Romanesque and Medieval buildings and many buildings from the 17th century, as well as an ancient military stronghold from the times of the marquises of Monferrato. Of special interest is the Cathedral, the baroque church of S. Filippo Neri, the Synagogue, which houses an important Hebrew museum, the palace of Anna d’Alencon and the Torre Civica.
(40 km from Alessandria, 45 min. by car)
Situated on the high grounds of Monferrato in the heart of a national park, there is a sincerely evocative sacred route, of great historical, cultural and artistic value. It is lovely to walk through the woods along the path, which includes a chain of 23 chapels, that leads to the Sanctuary. The Chapels have frescoes and sculptures illustrating the lives of the Virgin Mother and Jesus Christ.
(80 km from Alessandria, 60 min. by car)
This lake is a true jewel. It is situated at the foot of the Alps and is surrounded by elegant villas dating back to the 19th century. In the middle of the lake there is the Island of San Giulio with its beautiful Basilica, and the foundation dates back to the 4th century.
(100 km from Alessandria, 90 min. by car)
One of the most beautiful lakes in Italy, which is situated in the mountains and expands into the Swiss Alps. In the centre of the lake there are the famous Borromeo Islands, including “Isola Bella” (Beautiful Island) with Borromeo Palace (1632) and its terraced gardens, fountains and statues, “Isola Madre” (Mother Island), which has been almost completely transformed into a botanical garden and “Isola dei Pescatori” (Fishermen’s Island) featuring a colourful fishing village.